Friday, September 21, 2012

How is it?

I've been a PhD student for 3 weeks now. And the question that I get from non-PhD students is: "So... How is it? Well, not much different than a master's program, except for the fact that you are expected to publish, to pass your courses with A's, to get grants and to read waaayyyyy more texts/books than is humanly possible. Yeah, so I guess, it's pretty different!

Photo by Raphael Tetreault-Boyle taken from  http://www.concordia.ca/campus-life/slice-contest-2011/ 

From what I understand--and I'm only saying this based on 3 weeks of experience--what really matters is where you do your PhD. In my case, I think I've picked an amazing university where students are constantly encouraged, advised, and supported along the way (by the staff, faculty and other students). The class size is small so you get a better understanding of the course material; The professors reply to your emails in less than 2 or 3 days (often 2 or 3 hours); the classrooms, computer labs or resource centers are conducive to learning (materials, building, stationary...). Hence, despite the fact that starting a PhD is a bit scary and difficult, the university you chose to complete your program will determine if you'll have the worst experience or the best.

Now most people will say: "well, what is the right choice? How do you know which university is best?". Research research research. 
A few tips:
- Talk to students about their experiences at such and such universities
- Check the mission statement of your department (not the university at large)
- See how many faculty are available for the number of students that are there 
- Email professors and staff; see their answers and how often/how fast they get back to you
- Read blogs and forums on students' experience at the universities you might want to apply to
- And of course visit the universities' campus to have a feel.

If you do all this, then you'll be able to determine what is best for you. And thus, have a good experience in your PhD studies.

I chose Concordia University in Montreal, and I'm proud of this decision. But like I said, it's only been 3 weeks, so let me get back to you on this in 3 months.

Cheers!


1 comment: