Friday, May 11, 2012

Dilemmas


There comes a time in life when you are torn between making choices; that dilemma that everyone wishes to avoid, and yet, experiences quite often. It can be something as simple as “should I order fish or chicken”,  “do I walk or take the bus”. These choices are quite easy to make (for most people) and do not require too much reflection.

Then there are those other crucial dilemmas that will change your life one way or the other:
From: http://concurseirosolitario.blogspot.ca/2012/03/o-dilema-do-cursinho.html 
- Should I really get married now?
- Should I quit my job?
- Should I go to university?
- Should I move to China?
- Should I buy that apartment?
- Should I send my kids to private or public school?

We all go through some tough decisions like these at some point in our lives, and what makes them hard is that we cannot see our future, so we have NO idea what will happen if we make (or don’t make) a choice. So we hate it… We dread it.

From: http://sujenman.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/fear-of-failure-768216.gif
Most people try to avoid these dilemmas for fear of falling. They are afraid that it won't work, so they simply don't try. Some just want to avoid that difficult phase of making a decision. It’s stressful; it’s uncomfortable; it’s complicated, so yeah, it’s easier to avoid it, right? 
WRONG! Unfortunately people like this stay in the same job for years (yet, they complain about that job everyday), don’t buy anything huge, never move, and so forth.

The truth is, the more you have choices to make along the way, the more you actually have a life. Living without having doubts, fears, issues, is simply NOT living. So to me, dilemmas are one of the best things to have in life. In fact, I think they’re great. I truly appreciate them. And I think we all should to a certain extent. I am grateful for all the dilemmas I’ve had in my life because they gave me purpose. The challenges that come with each problem taught me something new. Every time I have a dilemma, I learn… I grow… I live.

Don’t be afraid to take that step toward a change; to take a path toward a new plan. Change is ALWAYS good, no matter what. Even if the change you go through makes you less happy than what you were, you still learned something out of it… So it’s not a loss. In fact it means that you have reasons to be here. Congratulations you are alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment